Great Bend Fire Department

Go To Search
Department History
Past Events
Old Fire Station and Staff
  • 1874 - Founded with a hand drawn wagon, two dozen leather buckets, and two 16' ladders.
  • 1876 - 20 volunteer men were chosen. Will Stokes appointed first Fire Chief.
  • 1911 - First motorized fire truck purchased.
  • 1924 - First pumping apparatus purchased (to boost water pressure in the fire hose).
  • 1938 - Fire Department moved out of City Hall, into its own building which is now the Police Department.
  • 1949 - First paid men were hired, two men per 24 hour shift and one Fire Inspector.
  • 1961 - Station #2 built at 5005 Broadway.
  • 1966 - Ambulance services taken over by Fire Department.
  • 1972 - Fire Station #1 opened at 1205 Williams.
  • 1975 - Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) established.
  • 1985 - EMT-defibrillators established. (pilot program)
  • 1992 - EMT intermediate established.
  • 1999 - Paramedic service offered.
  • 2002 - Construction started on new Fire Station #2 (located at 5851 10th)

Today

Currently the Great Bend Fire Department (GBFD) operates two manned stations located at 1205 Williams and 5851 10th and one unmanned station at the airport. GBFD provides fire protection for the City of Great Bend and approximately 20,000 Barton County residents in the following townships: Buffalo, Liberty, South Bend, and Great Bend.

GBFD also provides EMS services to the City of Great Bend, six townships, City of Albert, and City of Pawnee Rock. GBFD has an agreement with all surrounding county agencies to provide or receive mutual aid upon request.



1209 Williams | Great Bend, Kansas 67530 | PH: (620) 793-4111 | FAX: (620) 793-4108
Print Friendly | Email Page | RSS | Translation | Accessibility | Copyright Notices | Powered by CivicPlus
A great place to raise a family!